top of page

Family Visa

You need a family visa to live with a family member in the UK for more than 6 months.

You can apply for a family visa to live with your:

  • spouse or partner

  • fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner

  • child

  • parent

  • relative who’ll provide long-term care for you

Who is living in the UK. The definition of family under UK immigration rules is limited however it still includes broad range of relatives, if you are unsure do contact us for further detail.



If you have a spouse/partner who either British or has valid leave to remain (visa longer than 6 months) or Asylum, you may be able to join them as family member. If you spouse/partner is an EEA National you find more detail under our EU family member section (link). There are several very strict requirements to be met in making a successful family visa application covering relationship and financial status, we are able to assist and guide you on what is required in line with your situation.



Under UK Immigration Rules, children and parents are both able to come and live with their family members if their satisfy certain conditions in making a visa application. Under the family visa application route, the visa you get depends on the status of your family member in the UK, we are able to give you more information on this depending on your situation. Children born to a person who is either British or settled in the UK may even be entitled to British Citizenship, get in touch with us for a one-off advice (link) to find out if this applies to you.



You if you or your family member need long-term care from a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK, you may be able to apply for this visa to join them. It is referred as the Adult Dependent Relative Visa and in recent years has been extremely limited due to the various strict requirements brought in by successive conservative governments. This, therefore, is a lot less generous route to what it used to be however it is still there and provides a viable option for those who need it.


One of the following must also apply to the relative:


  • they’re a British citizen

  • they’ve settled in the UK - for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence

  • they have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

bottom of page